Spelling words are a fact of life with elementary school kids.
I remember them clearly from my years in school and now we’re entering the same phase with my daughters.
My struggle has always been making them interesting. We’ve got to practice them, right?
So, why not have fun with one of these 31 Ways to Practice Spelling Words.
For the longest time, the only ideas for practicing spelling words I could come up with were practice tests and writing them over and over and over again. Boring!
I finally set down determined to come up with some fun ways to practice spelling.
And here they are, 31 fun, engaging, and hands-on ways to practice spelling words. All 31 ways may not work for you, but I’m sure you’ll find several ideas that your kids will love!
You can click through to each of the ideas for details about how to set up and how to do the activities. Or, if you’d like these books in an off-line format, you can buy the printable ebook here.
Fun Ways to Practice Spelling Words
1. Make Words with Sticky Notes – Kids love sticky notes and they’ll love the excuse to use them to practice their spelling words.
2.Salt Tray Spelling Words – Learn how to set up a simple salt tray that can be used over and over again to practice words.
3. Walk Your Spelling Words – This gross motor spelling activities is a great activity from kids who just need to move.
4. Make Words with Alphabet Beads – Alphabet beads are a great investment and a fun way to practice spelling.
5. Make Words with Dry Beans – Build your spelling words using dry beans.
6. Type Spelling Words on a Computer – Fire up the computer and let your kids have a little screen time while they practice their words.
7. Spelling Word Scramble – It’s a lot simpler than you might expect to create your own word scramble out of your kid’s spelling words.
8. Write Spelling Words with Cotton Swabs – Put away the pencil and practice your spelling words with cotton swabs.
9. Make Words with Alphabet Clothespins – Your alphabet clothespins can be used over and over to practice spelling words all year long.
10. Make Words with Play Dough Get out the play dough and get creative molding your spelling words.
11. Spell with a Driveway Letter Grid Jump and move while you practice your spelling words on a giant letter grid.
12. Disappearing Spelling Words – Try a little magic (science magic, that it) and make your spelling words disappear.
More Hands-On Ways to Practice Spelling Words
13. Pinprick Words – Grab a straight pin and practice your spelling words with this fine motor activity.
14. Spelling Word Search – Use a free online service to create a word search with your kid’s spelling words.
15. Car Word Tracing – Get out your toy cars and use them for this fun way to practice spelling words.
16. Write Spelling Words on the Window – Who wouldn’t want to write on the window? It’s the perfect place to practice your words!
17. Make Spelling Words with Letter Stamps – Use letter stamps instead of a pencil to practice spelling words.
18. Sidewalk Chalk Spelling Words – Practice spelling words outside with this easy idea.
19. Paint Your Spelling Words – Grab a paint brush and your favorite color of paint for this spelling activity.
20. Chalkboard Letter Erase – Use can learn your spelling words while you erase them with this fun idea.
21. Pipe Cleaner Words – Mold and form your spelling words out of pipe cleaners.
22. Rainbow Writing – Grab your crayons to create these colorful spelling words.
23. Write Words in Shaving Cream – This sensory idea is such a fun way to practice spelling words.
24. Make Words with Scrabble Tiles – Use the tiles from a Scrabble game to practice your spelling words.
Spelling activities that aren’t boring!
25. Spelling Word BINGO – Create a simple BINGO game using this printable BINGO board template.
26. LEGO letters – Use your LEGO Bricks to build your spelling words.
27. Watercolor Resist Spelling Words – Combine a fun art technique with spelling for this fun art activity.
28. Writing with Paint in a Bag – Paint in a bag is a fun and mess-free way to practice spelling.
29. Letter Stamps and Play Dough – Combine your letter stamps with play dough for this fun spelling idea.
30. Dot Marker Spelling Words – Get out your dot markers and use them to write your spelling words.
31. Finger Painting Spelling Words – A fun way to use your fingers to write your spelling words.
Buy the 31 Ways to Practice Spelling Words Ebook
You can purchase a printable form of this book for $7.50 The book is designed to print and turn into a half-page size booklet. It’s perfect to keep at your homework station. Your kids can flip through and find a fun way to practice their spelling words.
The ideas will be convenient and ready to use. No need to turn on the computer every day for ideas.
Most activities require little to no prep time. And, if you make sure you have all the supplies on the Master Supply List (included in the book) on hand, you’ll be able to do any of these fun spelling word ideas any time.