Going on a walk is not only good exercise, it’s also a lot of fun.
And, it’s a easy and simple family fun idea.
It’s so easy to just grab the kids and go on a simple neighborhood walk. You get exercise, burn some energy, and breathe fresh air. But, sometimes you want to mix things up and if you want to add a little variety to your neighborhood walk, here are 10 fun walk ideas for families.
Add some learning ideas, explore nature, and more. So, let’s get outside, get moving, and have some fun with our family.
Disclosure: There are Amazon Affiliate and other affiliate links in this article which means, at no additional cost to you, we could receive compensation for our recommendations. You can read our full disclosure policy on our Disclosure Page for more details.
Fun Walk Ideas for Families
Here are 10 fun ideas to add a little variety to your family walks. They’re great for kids of all ages and the adults will have fun too.
1. Go on a counting walk. Count the number of trees you see or count the parked cars. Come up with a few things you see routinely on your walks and have the kids count them.
2. Take binoculars and look at your neighborhood up close! Find all the tiny things you usually don’t notice. Look up in the tops of trees. What do you see? You may need to take it slow on this exploration walk, but I guarantee you’ll find things you never noticed before. This is also a fun idea for a walk in the park or local nature center.
3. Make it a scavenger hunt. Look for something big, something tiny, something rough or something smooth like we did in our backyard scavenger hunt.
4. Play “I Spy” while you walk along. “I spy something brown and green and taller than a house.” Whoever guesses first gets to come up with the next clue.
5. Go on a color hunt. See how many different colors you can find. You can have a casual color hunt or take our Rainbow Color Hunt outside to see what you can see.
More Family Walk Ideas
6. Take your camera. Document all the things you see on your walk, then turn it into a book when you get home or print out a few favorite photos. Don’t forget to take a few selfies with the kids!
7. Bring a bag and look for nature treasures like we did when we went leaf collecting. Use your nature treasures in learning activities the rest of the week.
8. Go on a listening walk. How many different things do you hear on your walk? Here is a fun idea for a listening walk along with a printable checklist.
9. Stop and climb a tree! If you don’t want to climb a tree, stop and examine a leaf, smell a flower, make a snow angel or jump in a puddle. In other words, enjoy the experience!
10. Find a new-to-you place to go for a hike. Your walk doesn’t have to be around the neighborhood! In case the idea of taking young children on a hike makes you nervous I have some simple tips to make it easy on everyone.
Even More Outdoor Fun
Check out this article on finding the balance between outdoor safety and adventure from Teach Preschool. So, why not climb a hill and run back down it!
What is your favorite fun walk ideas for families?
You may also like one of these family fun ideas:
Go on a Family Adventure and Discover a “New To You” Park
Top 10 Simple Summer Field Trips
20 Ways to Enjoy a Day at the Pond from Edventures with Kids
Find More Outdoor Ideas in One of These Books
We’ve got a small library of books at home to help inspire us to get outside together. Here are some recommendations you may want to add to your home library.
Latest posts by Terri Thompson (see all)
- Thanksgiving Math Activities for Kids - November 10, 2022
- Paper Plate Tambourine Kids Craft - May 15, 2022
- Outdoor Shape Activities for Kids - May 9, 2022