Do you have active kids who need to burn off some energy?
Tell them to jump! It’s easy, fun, and requires nothing more than your own two feet.
Here are some fun ways to add a little variety to this classic gross motor exercise.
Go outside and play some jumping games!
Disclosure: There are Amazon Affiliate and other affiliate links in this article which means, at no additional cost to you, we could receive compensation for our recommendations. You can read our full disclosure policy on our Disclosure Page for more details.
1. Long Jump: The long jump has been a part of track and field events for decades. We thought it would be fun to recreate this event in our backyard. I spread out a piece of twine for our starting point and then told the girls to jump as far as they could. Each time, we took out our tape measure to see just how far we could jump. (50 inches! Wow!) We tried jumping from a stationary position and then tried running and jumping. Which one helped us jump the longest?
2. Who can jump the most? This one should really be titled “a sneaky way to tire your kids out when they have way too much energy.” All you have to do is say “Who can jump the most before getting tired? Ready, set, go… start jumping!” Have your kids jump and jump some more. Who will be the last one jumping? This is a great way to tire the kids out when they have excess energy. Keep it in your arsenal because you can use it on road trips, rainy days, or any other time your kids are bouncing off the walls.
3. Jumping over obstacles. I set up a mini-obstacle course for the girls to jump over. We had a pile of scrap wood, so I took a few and laid them out at intervals. I challenged the girls to go down the course jumping over each one. If you don’t have scrap wood, don’t let it limit you. You can use toys, cardboard scraps, rope, sticks, anything you happen to have on hand. Challenge their gross motor skills and have some fun while you’re at it!
4. Pose jumping. This was probably my favorite of our jumping activities. I would shout out a challenge, such as “jump like a bird” or “jump like a ballerina,” and the girls would start jumping. It’s fun to see just how silly everyone can be. I can guarantee lots of giggles with this game! So, start jumping. Jump like a deer or jump like a monster. But, most of all, have fun!
Do you know any fun games that involve jumping?
Make this a family adventure:
Planning time: None. This can be a fun last minute family activity. If you’re planning on doing the jumping obstacle course, you will need just a few minutes to set it up.
Ages: All. No one is too young or too old to jump!
Time Needed: Varies. You can take as little or as much time as you need.
Notes: This activity can be done anywhere. It’s perfect for an outdoor activity after dinner or a quick energy break on a road trip. Have fun and jump!
Get outside and play some more with one of these active games:
Latest posts by Terri Thompson (see all)
- Thanksgiving Math Activities for Kids - November 10, 2022
- Paper Plate Tambourine Kids Craft - May 15, 2022
- Outdoor Shape Activities for Kids - May 9, 2022