The Sound of Music was filmed on location in Austria, mainly Salzburg, and features many beautiful sequences of scenery. The hills were alive with beauty and we watched several clips from the movie to see views of the Alps as well as Salzburg.
I’m usually quite comfortable in the kitchen, but I fear making pastry.
I wanted the girls to try apple strudel, but there was no way I was going to attempt that recipe. So we cheated… sort of.
Even if we lived in Austria we would be buying our strudel at a bakery. We ate our yummy strudel by watching a few more scenes of the movie, in particular the song “My Favorite Things.”
Around the World in 12 Dishes
We had started our journey the same way Phileas Fogg did in London, UK, and now are arriving in Athens, capital of Greece!
- March 4 – First country was the UK
- April 1 – The second country was Sweden
- May 6 – The third country was Russia
- June 3 – The fourth country was India
- July 7 – The fifth country was Japan
- August 5 – The sixth country was Australia
- September 2 -The seventh country was French Polynesia
- October 7 – The eighth country was Mexico
- November 4 – The ninth country was Brazil
- December 2 – The tenth country was Morocco
- January 13 – The eleventh country was Greece
- February 3 – The twelfth country is Austria
How to join the fun!
- The only mandatory part is the dish, the rest is all up to you, we just thought it would be fun and more concrete to the kids as to why we are making a unusual dish.
- Cook a dish from Austria: The goal is to explore this country through FOOD and activities if you wish. Make a typical dish (sweet or savoury) from the country with the kids, take photos and have fun!
- Typical dishes: Apfelstrudel, Wiener Schnitzel, Tafelspitz, Kaiserschmarrn, Sachertorte
- Print your passport: Click here to download, comes with space for a photo of the child with the dish. Here is a little cover for it if you wish 🙂
- Color a placemat: Once colored/painted or whatever other way you want to do this, you can laminate it or put it between clear contact paper to use it over and over. Great conversation piece for you and your kids. Click here to download it.
- Make a craft: you can make a country related craft with the kids [optional!]
- Fun fact: The sewing machine was invented in 1818 by the Austrian Josef Madersperger.
- Share with us: Our Greek challenge starts on February 3rd and will remain open for a year, so attach a link to your blog to enter the linky party or go to the comment section and post a photo together with what you did together with your child(ren).
- Pinterest: We will add your photos to a “Around the World in 12 Dishes” Pinterest Boards (one for the dishes, one for the crafts) you will be a great source of inspiration for everyone 🙂
- Are you a blogger? Let your fans know about the challenge and grab our cute lil’ button to share it on your blog.