Welcome to “Around The World in 12 Dishes”. We will be taking you on a journey around the world, following in Phileas Fogg’s (from Around the World in 80 Days) footsteps, exploring 12 different countries with our children, and cooking 12 dishes with them. One for each country visited.
The world is such a wonderfully diverse and colorful place. Our children see maps, flags and books. They see postcards and sometimes they see films about the world.. but let’s really bring it to life through food!
Adventures In Mommydom, Creative Family Fun, Glittering Muffins, Juggling with Kids, Kitchen Counter Chronicles, Make, Do & Friends, Mom 2 Posh Little Divas, Mummymummymum, Rainy Day Mum, Red Ted Art, The Educators’ Spin On It and The Outlaw Mom have come together to help you on your food journey and will each cook a dish with our children and post about it – to help inspire you to have a go! Then go out there, cook, blog, and join in the linky fun!
Around the World in 12 Dishes
We start our journey the same way Phileas Fogg did in London, UK.
- March 4 – First country is UK
- Check April 1st, 2012 for our next destination 😉
How to join the fun!
- The only mandatory part is the dish, the rest is all up to you, we just thought it would be fun and more concrete to the kids as to why we are making a unusual dish.
- Cook a dish from the UK: The goal is to explore this country through FOOD and activities if you wish. Make a typical dish (sweet or savoury) from the country with the kids, take photos and have fun!
- Typical dishes: Bangers & Mash, Yorkshire Pudding, Shepherd’s Pie and Custard & Apple Crumble
- Print your passport: Click here to download, comes with space for a photo of the child with the dish. Here is a little cover for it if you wish 🙂
- Color a placemat: Once colored/painted or whatever other way you want to do this, you can laminate it or put it between clear contact paper to use it over and over. Great conversation piece for you and your kids. Click here to download it.
- Make a craft: you can make a country related craft with the kids [optional!]
- Read a book: We read England (True Books: Countries) by Michael Burgan and
A Child’s Garden of by Robert Louis Stevenson
- On-line fun: www.paddingtonbear.com The much loved and well known Paddington bear has some fun printable and online activities.
- Fun fact: Did you know the UK is one of the rare countries to host the summer Olympics twice, the second time will be this summer.
- Share with us: Our challenge starts on March 4 and will remain open for a year, so attach a link to your blog to enter the linky party or go to the comment section and post a photo together with what you did together with your child(ren).
- Pinterest: We will add your photos to an “Around the World in 12 Dishes” Pinterest Boards (one for the dishes, one for the crafts) you will be a great source of inspiration for everyone
- Are you a blogger? Let your fans know about the challenge and grab our button to share on your blog.
The following two tabs change content below.
Terri is a writer and mom of two elementary-aged girls. She has a passion for learning and is always looking for ways to make learning fun. You can find her at Better Than Homework where she shares fun learning activities or Creative Family Fun where she shares art, craft, and family fun ideas.